2 April 2013

The Sandman

My friend introduced me to Sandman when I was at her place a year ago. She told me it was a comic that I simply had to read, and so she saved the entire series onto my pen drive.

I did read a few chapters but to be honest the series didn't grab my fancy then. I saw it as a depressing read, though admittedly the stories were very well written.

A week ago, I decided to give the series another shot. This time around things were different. I suddenly got it. I fell in love with it. Maybe it's because I matured, maybe it's because I previously read it as a two-dimensional story with no hidden meanings, who knows? All I really know is that I now get what my friend was so excited about. Sandman is worthy of the hype that surrounds it.

If you're not familiar with it, Sandman chronicles the life of Dream, otherwise known as Morpheus, one of the seven Endless. The tales are written in such a way that you're left pondering on the limits of the world and of reality itself. Neil Gaiman really outdid himself with this one.

I still have a few issues left, and something tells me the ending will be epic. If you haven't read the series yet, do yourself a huge favour and download a few issues. You will not be disappointed.